Going out of town is a great way to relax, calm your nerves, and get away from the stress of everyday life. But bed bugs are a souvenir that no one wants when they return home. Checking for bed bugs at your Airbnb, hotel or other accommodations is a necessary step for all travelers. Listed below are some easy ways to check for signs of bed bugs in your hotel and prevent bed bugs from making the journey back home with you.
Identifying Signs of Bed Bugs
Start by checking your mattress for small black and red dots. Bed bugs once fully grown are easily visible. Make sure they’re not hiding in the seams or other soft surfaces in your room. Shine a flashlight across mattresses’, chairs, carpets, and small areas like behind outlets and light switch covers. The light will expose any of the exoskeletons from dead bugs and show if there is a bed bug problem.
How to Stop Them From Stowing Away in Your Luggage
- Use hardsided luggage. Light and bright colors are easiest to spot bed bugs on and they leave very little room for bed bugs to enter your suitcase.
- Put your luggage on a luggage rack, off the floor, or on a hard surface.
- Keep your items together, rather than spread throughout the room.
- Store your suitcase in a large, heavy-duty garbage bag.
- If you have no other choice but to stay in a bed bug infested room, wear clothing that fully covers your skin. Bed bugs don’t spread disease, but their bites can cause irritation. Giving them the least amount of skin to bite leads to a significantly less itchy getaway.
- Upon getting home from vacation, immediately put the contents of your suitcase in the dryer on high heat for a minimum of 30 minutes, to kill any bed bugs that may have stowed away.
Professional Bed Bug Extermination with Allied Termite & Pest Control
Sadly bed bugs like your Memphis home just as much as you do. These pests can be especially difficult to get rid of. Calling Allied Termite & Pest Control at the first sign of bed bugs in your home is your best plan of action. They have several different methods to exterminate bed bugs before your house becomes completely infested. Allied Termite & Pest Control makes the extermination process stress-free with their over 48 years of experience.